Sunday, May 16, 2010

Instant Mashed Potatoes for Long Term Food Storage



I do bulk store and use fairly often instant mashed potatoes. For my food storage program they are a must because real, fresh potatoes under the best storage conditions only keep for about six months.

So that leaves me with no option but to store instant mashed potatoes. The question now is which brand tastes the best and is still affordable?

The brand I like the best and have been using is ‘Idahoan Original Mashed Potatoes’ and they also use the dehydration process to produce this product.

Good Housekeeping Magazine recently did a taste test of the ‘Idahoan Original’, ‘Betty Crocker Yukon Gold’ and ‘Hungry Jack Redskins & Yukon Gold’ offerings.

The winner was ‘Idahoan Original’ @ $.17 per dry oz.; their tasters said Idahoan was “silky smooth and has a fresh potato taste”.

‘Betty Crocker Yukon Gold’ @ $.19 per dry oz.; had a good butter flavor but the texture was runny.

‘Hungry Jack Redskins & Yukon Gold’ @ $.16 per dry oz.; was smooth but without much potato flavor.

For those who are looking at #10 cans of instant potatoes I have used Provident Pantry Instant Potato Flakes @ $.20 per dry oz. in my search for the best tasting storable instant potatoes. They are good but not quite as good tasting as the Idahoan brand. The up side for prepper’s who have no equipment to Mylar bag bulk dry foods then using the #10 cans you just put it on the shelf and you’re all set.


Idahoan directions for use (about typical for all brands):To make a 1 cup serving:
2/3 cup water
¼ tsp salt
1 tbs margarine (or make from your stocked butter powder)
1/3 cup milk (or make from your stocked dry milk)
2/3 cup potato flakes (1.5 oz)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I grew up on instant mashed potatoes back in 60's and recently decided to keep them on hand for quick dinners. I went back to the brand mom used, Hungry Jack, and wondered what on earth happened to them. I happen to be over at SAMS one day and they were giving samples of the Idahoan brand. They were like what I remembered from being a kid. You can purchase them from SAMS/COSCO in 5lb. bags at a better price than Walmart.

Yukon Mike said...

Anon,
I haven't seen them in 5# bags at my Sam's, if I did that's the way I'd be buying and long term storing them.

Anonymous said...

how do you store them long term.

Yukon Mike said...

Anon 5:19
I store the instant potatoes just like my other dry bulk foods. I use Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers inside. I expect them to last 10-20 years if kept cool like in a basement.

Nuttbush54 said...

Do you store other types of dehydrated or freeze dried potatoes for use in soups and stews? I have found Hungry Jack freeze dried hash browns at the store and they tasted okay but I bet the Idahoan taste better.

Yukon Mike said...

Nutt,
No, I don’t store other types of dehydrated or freeze dried potatoes. For one I have to draw the line on what to store and the purpose for it. Long term food storage for me is to be able to get through a disaster event without starving to death. Nothing more and nothing less!

Trying to store everything you think you’ll need or like to eat will cause you to go broke quickly and probably be unprepared or have an large array of foods that you can’t make decent meals from.

I prefer to have enough basic dry bulk foods so to not worry about my next belly filling meal. I’m sure if there is a disaster event where I need to depend on my stored foods I will have a lot of other issues to deal with, like just to stay alive and warm. So any simple meal will be very welcome! Keep it simple…..

Anonymous said...

How long does instant potato mash last for once made?

Mike Yukon said...

Anon 12:11
I'm not quite sure what you are asking but if it's how long they last after cooking then they are the same as fresh mashed potatoes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation. For everyday living, we prefer real mashed potatoes, and I need to figure out what to store. I will get started with trying out the Idahoan because of your suggestion.

Mike Yukon said...

You’re welcome. I also like the real thing but for long term storage and a reasonable similarity to real potatoes the Idahoan is hard to beat.