Saturday, January 12, 2013

Camp Stove Oven Improvement, Baking Dinner Rolls


The Coleman Camp Stove Oven does bake reasonably well, not like your home oven but for emergency needs or camping it’s a great piece of equipment to have. The most common items for me or you to bake would be dinner rolls (shown below), breakfast rolls and cornbread all of which use an 8x8 inch square or 8 inch round baking pan that fits nicely inside the oven.

Oven/Stove improvement:
In an earlier posting http://livingprepared.blogspot.com/2012/12/camp-stove-oven-by-coleman.html I experimented with baking bread with good results. My only issue was my very old propane camp stove struggled to get the oven temperature to 310 degrees. It did bake the bread just fine only it takes a longer bake time to get the breads internal temperature to 195 degrees.

With the low BTU output of my old camp stove I needed a way to direct as much of the burner heat as possible into the bottom of the oven. The solution was pretty simple, a soup can!



Here’s a view of the bottom of the Coleman Oven. You can see the round opening where the heat from the stove's burner must pass to enter the oven chamber.


  
The camp stove burner.



Here's the cut to size can I used. The height is cut to fit between the bottom of the grill and stove bottom.



Here’s the can in place and the burner on. This simple addition increased the heat by over 60 degrees, so much so that I had to turn the burner down to maintain 325 degrees. It also preheated the oven to 325 degrees in just 30 minutes instead of 60 minutes it took before adding the soup can.



Dinner rolls ready to rise.



Dinner rolls risen.



In the oven on the middle rack and finished baking.



I baked one batch in the camp oven and the other in the home oven. As you can see the camp oven [on the left] doesn't brown like the home oven [on the right] does.



Here’s the bottom view of the dinner rolls. Camp oven rolls on the left.


Summary:
  • This camp oven is a good value, it does the job well!
  • If using a late model camp stove with a 12,000 BTU burner this oven can bake anything you can fit in it.
  • The only difference between this and your home oven is you must watch the temperature so it doesn't runaway and get too hot or too cold.
  • Using both an oven thermometer and a stick thermometer because it will not brown like a home oven, you will need to verify the food is internally baked/cooked properly with the stick thermometer.


4 comments:

  1. Soup can, hugh? Now why couldn't Coleman have thought of that?
    We still haven't bought ours :(
    I'm guessing by the design of the bottom that it wouldn't work on the top of my wood stove, hugh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know why Coleman doesn't offer one with the ovens but it certainly helped my situation out and I’m sure using the oven outdoors and if it’s the least bit windy it would be a big help getting the heat into the oven. Maybe I’ll send them the link to look at for ideas.

    As for using it on your wood stove I’m sure it will work if the top is suitable for cooking on (gets hot enough). Here’s a link to a guy using his on their wood stove. However, remember my temperature gauge was off by almost 100 degrees so his could have been also that’s why he had the stove burning hotter than normal.
    Also, I believe the Coleman oven may need to have an air flow or current to draw the heated air from the top of the wood stove through the hole in the bottom and then into the oven. If it doesn't great, if it does then try using four ¼ inch nuts laid flat to create a small gap between the stove and oven.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqDiNLq-G_M&list=PLB4A1D7140106C82E&index=18

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rolls you made on the Coleman look very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyful, they didn't last long:-)
    I use my standard bread recipes be it white or whole wheat bread. I just need to figure out a way to get the tops to brown a little faster than the bottom does.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome!