Sunday, March 31, 2013

Rocket Stove and the Camp Stove Oven

Rocket Stoves are a great alternative to cooking on a campfire whether fun camping or during a life changing disaster aftermath. They are very fuel efficient and if firewood is in limited supply then they really shine. This is important because you could be without all utilities after a disaster event, how would you cook your meals? It can only be caveman style, over a fire!

To get the best overall survival cooking use from my Rocket Stove I have to be able to cook all foods and control the heat output so I can use my camp stove oven on top and bake breads to biscuits.

Today was the first temperature test attempt at using a camp stove oven on top of the rocket stove. The stoves large flat square cook top easily held the oven stable with no fears of falling off and no wobbling.
Before placing the oven on the stove I placed a piece of stainless steel window screen on top the stove first to stop any burned ashes from entering the oven chamber and getting all over the food inside.
It appears the camp stove oven is a perfect match for the rocket stove. I just started a typical fire with the dead branches from my yard. It burned fairly clean except when I’d push the wood into the chamber as it burned then it would smoke for a couple minutes then clear up. I’m thinking if I used split kindling without bark on it, it would burn much cleaner.

The temperature and control was easy, I really did nothing, just kept the fire going. Within 10 minutes the oven was at 325 degrees and that’s where I normally bake at. Over the next hour I checked the temperature and it stayed between 325 and 375, more than good enough for camp baking. The temp fluctuations would correlate to when I’d push in more fresh wood the higher the temperature and as the wood burns back it would lower the temp. It appears that to maintain a constant temperature I’ll need to regularly push in the wood for a constant burn rate.

Overall the oven on the rocket stove looks promising and next weekend I will bake some dinner rolls and maybe a loaf of bread. Wonder what smoked bread tastes like!



Here’s the stainless window screen I used to prevent the ashes from floating into the oven chamber. Worked perfectly!


The oven on top the rocket stove.


As I expected, the oven door thermometer is off by 100 degrees just like it was when using propane!


My trusty oven thermometer showed me 325 to 375 degrees throughout the temperature testing.





After one hour of testing the stainless screen held up just fine. I will now trim it to fit properly.


11 comments:

  1. Hey mike the smoke is because the new wood isnt seasoned enuff.Split it fine debark it will help also will make the fire hotter for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could increase the efficiency of that stove by insulating the lower half of it with fiberglass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bottom Feeder thanks and did you ever find another blog site?
    When researching rocket stove I have read about insulating the burn chamber for creating wood gases and a cleaner burn. This could be true but I doubt that it wood be a significant improvement for my use. I think the addition of fiberglass would be a difficult project to do well and then I have the fears of glass fibers somehow getting into our food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gary,
    The wood I’m using is the dead branches that fall out of my oak trees. They are very dry and brittle but still have the bark on them. This bark I feel causes the smoke when the branches are first pushed into the burn chamber until they ignite then it burns smoke free.
    I will be splitting some of my oak firewood into kindling size just for use in the stove, hopefully this will burn clean.
    I feel the current heat output is more than enough for any cooking including deep frying chicken etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaowool high temperature ceramic blanket insulation is another option. It's the stuff that I use in my forges. 1/2 inch layer around the fire box area will improve the pyrolysis of the stove and help generate secondary wood gas and more complete combustion. As soon as the weather changes to warmer here I'll do another triple threat rocket for the blog. I need a new rocket for a kayak trip I'm planing.
    The new blog is at theelderdragon dot blog dot com called
    Dragon's Improvisations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike, We can't wait to see how baking goes on the Deadwood. I'm sure we will be getting a camp stove very soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barnowl, I’m hoping it works out as well. Being able to bake in somewhat of a normal, easy fashion is important for long term disaster survival. We just couldn't get used to eating without bread products. I think I’ll start with a pan of dinner rolls and see how that works before I try a loaf of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bottom Feeder, thanks for the Kaowool information. At this time I have no plans to insulate the stove but first see what it’s capable of. Based on my little experience with it and others reviews it looks like it will be fine as is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike-
    I understand there is another biomass stove out there (Stovetec Biomass Stove). Did you do any research between the two?

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Elisabeth,
    I have looked into the Stovetec Stove but I never could find an interest in it. I am a Mechanical Engineer and this stove design is just too complicated and breakable with the refractory brick and use of sheet metal. I’m sure it works OK but it’s not for me plus it is made in China.
    When I was told about the Deadwood Stove and first looked into it I knew this was the stove for me. It is simply ‘overbuilt’, rugged, extremely simple in its design, made in the USA and will last me a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reviewing the YouTube videos, I have to agree. The sheet metal aspect of the StoveTec doesn't seem to be as durable as the heavy steel that the Deadwood is made from. Being a mom to 3 boy scouts, we've tried all sorts of stoves but have yet to try this one. I'll have to put it on the list.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome!