Monday, May 20, 2013

New Camera


The last 12 months have been hard on cameras for me, both of them have broken,,, again and I refuse to pay another $250 for Nikon factory repair service. Today’s point and shoot cameras are superior in image quality to the ones of 5-8 years ago and a fraction of the cost. So it looks like I have to accept the fact that from now on digital cameras are disposable and if I get 2-3 years out of one, just be happy.

The issue I have with new electronic devices, cameras, phones etc is they do too much. They are simply overly featured and complicated to the point you need the carry the instruction manual with you at all times.

Anyway I’m looking forward too working with the new camera and it will be the one used for the blog images. The anti-shake feature should help produce sharp focused hand held images and I especially hope the video feature works well enough where I can post short videos of what I’m doing. We’ll see how that goes.

If anyone is using the Nikon S9200 I’d like to here your comments about it!

Camera Details:
Nikon COOLPIX S9200 16 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 18x Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and Full HD 1080p Video (Black)
16.0 Megapixel CMOS sensor
18x Zoom-NIKKOR ED lens (10x optical zoom, 35mm equiv. 25mm – 450mm)
3-inch Ultra-high resolution LCD display
Full HD (1080p) Movies with Stereo Sound
Steady-Shot anti vibration setting
200 shots per battery charge
30 minutes of video
Along with a countless other features

Cost: $123.45   Amazon with free shipping and no sales tax
Extras I purchased:
2 batteries and charger $19.99
32 GB Memory Card $23.98

Here’s a quick overview of the camera and its capabilities.




10 comments:

  1. As usual, your reviews are just in time. My Kodak camera, purchased in 2005, needs to be put out to pasture; it turns off randomly and the zoom feature is broke.

    I've been looking around for a smaller camera so this looks dandy (my Kodak was pretty bulky). What I am looking for though is one with a macro feature, something I can take really close up pictures with (like bugs & such). Does this one have a feature like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this camera has the macro feature. So you can take a photo of a flea on a fleas butt more or less :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never buy anything but Kodak cameras, but they have quit making them! My Kodak m23 has 14mp, but don't know about macro. I think I need it!

    I never spend more than $35 because I turn in cartridges to Office Max and use the reward to put on a camera, reducing the cost of the camera greatly.

    OM also sells Nikon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoo hoo! Going to be getting this camera then (you know, as soon as I ask Paul), thanks so much for doing the research for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you kindly post a picture of a flea on a flea's butt for me so I can see how good it is? Well, maybe not the flea thing, but a good bug shot? Please? I really want to get this camera if it has good macro capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn,
    Yes I will take some images for you hopefully tonight.

    Something the advertising isn't real clear on is you will need to buy a memory card for the camera. The camera does come with 25MP of internal storage which sounds like a lot when comparing to an older camera however this camera defaults to 16MP photo sizes. You can change it in smaller sizes all they way down to less than 1MP. A 4GB card will produce over 1,100 16MP images.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Practical,
    Interesting way to save money on a camera, good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently bought another camera as I am hard on them as well. My new Nikon Coolpix S30 IS WATERPROOF (to 9 feet) and DROP RESISTANT (from up to 3 feet). 10MP, runs forever on Nickle-Iron batteries (not oem, but are great), great life on alkaline AA. Don't care for usb cable location, but is due because waterproof nature. Good zoom, macro, bug in flash modes though. Only off or auto, cant force a flash.

    So far, I have dropped it from top of a 14 ladder, but still works great. Hitting each rung on way down may have had some bearing on that though.

    Bought it ar bug blue box store for less than $50, and another $5 for 2 yr replacement. Not too bad, and since is for business, is a deduction as well (required tool).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shoot. I meant Nickel Zinc, not iron. Rwchargeable, non-toxic, and good energy density. Fantastic for subbing for alkalines as very similar nominal voltage (1.6 vs 1.5 for alkaline and dry cells).

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome!