Thursday, January 22, 2015

Owl

Yesterday, about 6:00pm I seen this owl fly into my neighbors oak tree. I live surrounded by forest and the Intracoastal Waterway so it's not unusual to hear owl's hooting with big deep hoots so I knew there were big owls around, just never seen a full grown one. For this photo I was about 40 feet away hand holding the camera so that's why it's not very clear or does it doesn't show you the true size of this bird. The bird was without including the tail feathers, was as big as a full grown raccoon!

The other thing that's impressive, to me anyway, is how nature camouflages this bird with its environment. No wonder they are so hard to spot.



9 comments:

  1. Mike,

    He's gorgeous!!!! I love your picture. Yes, he blends in to the tree so well.
    Owls are one of my favorite birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo! Beautiful bird! We have great horned owls here and they are mating/nesting now.

    Did you read about the guy that got attacked by an owl in Oregon? http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/01/19/jogger-attacked-by-owl/22019617/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a big bird and I was thinking about him coming down on me as I was approaching him. 40 feet was as close as I felt he would let me get especially when he was eyeballing me.
      Interesting story, thanks!

      Delete
  3. Owls are nesting right now here. It takes a long time to raise big birds before end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful owl! We have them all over the place here, even had a juvenile hang out in the goat pen for about a month. We got close enough to him we could see him hunting cicadas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful owl, I have always loved them but they can be dangerous too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my dog, a Sheltie, was just a puppy I would go outside with her because an owl this size could easily carry her away for a meal.

      Delete
    2. When my dog, a Sheltie, was just a puppy I would go outside with her because an owl this size could easily carry her away for a meal.

      Delete

Your thoughts are welcome!