Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Desiccants, Silica Gel Packets*




I long term store my dry foods in 5 gallon buckets. The food is first portioned out in 1 gallon amounts then each portion is sealed in a Mylar bag with oxygen absorbers. Those bags are then stored in 5 gallon buckets.

Also I use my long term foods 2-3 times every week. I do this by using 5 quart plastic jugs. I first fill the jug with 1 gallon of food and when the food in the jugs is used up I refill it with another one gallon Mylar bag of food. This way just the 1 gallon of food is exposed to oxygen and it is consumed long before it would go bad.

It is in each jug where I use the desiccant packets to keep the dry foods as dry as possible.

Note:
NEVER USE A DESICCANT WITH AN OXYGEN ABSORBER. Oxygen Absorbers need moisture to rust the iron inside the absorber packet. The rusting iron is what consumes the oxygen inside the Mylar bags.

Here’s what I use in my jugs:
Silica Gel Desiccants 2-1/4 x 1 1/2 Inches - 25 Silica Gel Packets of 10 Grams Each

Source purchased from:

Size: 25-Pack, $9.99

Manufactures comments:
  • Helps to keep moisture away from your valuable computers and equipment.
  • Silica Gel can adsorb up to 40-percent of it's weight in moisture and 15-percent in the first 2 hours.
  • Reduce condensation and remain dry even during humid, damp conditions.
  • Meets FDA specifications for food and drug products.
  • Packets of 10gm protects 470 cubic inch.
Absorbs up to 40% of its weight
Weigh fresh packets for a reference number. Then as time goes by weigh the packets again to see how much life is left.

How do I reactivate my Silica Gel Hydrosorbent?
Regeneration of Silica Gel is done by heating the crystals in an oven at a temperature of not more than 300° F (149° C) for approximately three hours or until the crystals turn blue or transparent white. Dehydrating the desiccant may also be accomplished by heating in a microwave oven. Using a 900 watt oven heat the crystals for three minute intervals until the color change occurs. The exact amount of time necessary will depend upon the oven wattage. Spreading the desiccant in a broad pan in a shallow layer will speed the process. Heating to 325° F (149° C) or more, or using a microwave oven over 900 watts can damage the gel and render it unable to adsorb moisture.

How long do the Silica Gel Dehumidifiers last?
Hydrosorbent Silica Gel can be reactivated indefinitely. Each Hydrosorbent Silica Gel unit has a built-in indicator which turns from blue to pink to signal when the product is saturated with moisture and needs reactivation in a conventional oven for lifetime protection.


The sealed package of 25 packets as purchased.


Rear of package.


Weighing a packet. Advertised as 10 grams and sure enough it weighs 10 grams. This is important to know. While it is in use occasionally weigh it. If it weighs 40% more, 14 grams, it is spent (saturated) and needs to be regenerated.


My daily use jug storage of the most common foods we use.


A packet inside a jug. You can see that the packet is large enough to easily see so it doesn’t get dumped into your cooking pot! J




4 comments:

  1. You are welcome Shirley. This is how I handle my long term stored foods and it works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool site u have! I will just wanna say thanks 4 that. If u would to visit my website visit it now. Thanks for your visit!
    Silica Gel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, I did visit your site, thanks for the link.

      Delete

Your thoughts are welcome!