Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Downloading your cameras data made easy!

I have and use three cameras. The two I use most often are a Nikon Coolpix S9200 point and shoot with video, the other is a Sony HDR-CX220 Video camera. The Sony is an entry level video camera but does a very good job. The only thing I wish the Sony had would be a plug-in port for a remote mic, corded or wireless for uniform audio volume control regardless of the distance from the camera.

The Nikon has great software, just plug the cord into the camera then into the computer, it tells you what it’s doing and it downloads the pics to the correct folder every time automatically. No messing around.

The Sony is a different matter. The Sony software is complicated and was not written for people who technically challenged. The biggest issue I have with it is it does not use a pop up windows to show you it’s transferring data or when it’s completed, just leaves you guessing. To make things even worse it goes through Windows 8.1, what a pain, nothing automatic about it and no easy way I can figure out how to send the files directly to my video or picture folders like I can with the Nikon.

So, after some brain cramps I remembered I could buy a card reader (I don’t have one in my laptop) and simply slip the camera's card into it and download the vid’s or pic’s right to the folder I want, then erase the card and put it back into the camera and I’m good to go! Blood pressure is finally coming down especially after deleting the Sony junk software!

A simple little USB device with 4 ports for four different sized cards and was only $10.00 at Wal-Mart. Now, no matter what camera I use or borrow it’s easy to download without any complicated camera software and dedicated camera cables plus I avoid my Windows 8.1 and download directly to my preferred picture/video file folder.


The Chip Reader Adapter:


Shown standing on end, the 4 ports for the most popular data chips. Two in the end and two more in the side:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome!