Monday, January 29, 2018

Sad Day at Living Prepared

This morning, I had to let my best little buddy go. Almost 15 years old and during the last six months she’s been rapidly losing her health with a heart murmur, multiple tumors, lost her hearing, and for the last three weeks not wanting to eat hardly anything. The vet said she’s just too old for any kind of surgery and it’s time.

Harley, 2003 – 2018


When I looked into her eyes for the last time, it’s as if she was reciting the Dogs Final Prayer to me.

A Dogs Final Prayer

"Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me."

"Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do."

"Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear."

"When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper."

"Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger."

"And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands."

Author Unknown

17 comments:

  1. Mike,

    Dear Friend, I'm sorry! Our pets are family, I'm sure Harley let you know it was time. Please know, Harley will always be with you in heart and soul.
    Blessings to you and your family.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. truly sorry for your loss my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TEARS HERE! We feel your heartache. Know that we're sending warm thoughts your direction and know that in time, it will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please accept my condolences on the loss of a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smile through the tears, knowing you provided a long and loving life to Harley. We who love our animals deeply are truly blessed for having done so. God Bless You with Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Mike, what heart breaking news! I know you all will miss Harley terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Mike....jambaloney and i are very sorry that you had to let your buddy go. as Sweet Sandy says - they are our family! she's a beautiful girl and i believe she did say that prayer to you with her last breaths.

    i know you've seen this before. but i will share Uncle Gerald's story here for you about our dogs and cats in heaven and when we see them again:

    http://thelastrobin.blogspot.ca/2009/12/our-dogs-and-cats-alive-again.html

    make sure to give yourself appropriate time to grieve. be gentle to yourself over the next while. it is never easy to lose such a buddy!

    we send our love!
    jambaloney and kymber

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your loss. Fifteen years is a wonderful life for your fur baby with you. Your kindness at the last let him slip away to the rainbow bridge to wait for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our condolences for your loss sir, losing a family friend is extremely hard to take. But 15 years - that is quite a stretch and I'm sure you've done everything you could do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike, I am so sorry to hear this. They truly become family & just breaks our hearts to let them go. But, as the poem states (paraphrased), when it's time to let go you have to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for the loss 15 years is a long time. As much as we tell our selves its just a dog Our heart knows different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hate that for you,,,,,,,,,

    -Moe

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sure am sorry to hear that. It's losing a member of the family when something like that happens. I always figured if there really is a "heaven" for people, the animals will go there too. They deserve it a lot more than most people, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for your kind and understanding words. The house has an eerie silence that will take some time to pass. All of Harley’s stocked food, (yes Harley was prepared also) treats, favorite rugs and the dozen or so of her prescription drugs were donated to our favorite Dog Rescue home in Harley’s name where they were gladly welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful creature! So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete