Saturday, June 2, 2018

English Muffin Recipe

I like baking a lot, do it almost every weekend and have tried to make English Muffins for a long time. I’ve tried at least a dozen recipes from the web including big-name chefs but they never turned out right like Thomas’. Its been very frustrating for me to continuously fail at such a simple thing!

In my sidebar I have a link to the “The Mobile Home Gourmet”. Dennis Viau, (and yes he does live in a trailer) is the home cook/baker, videographer and writer. He does very nice video work and perfect recipe writing. Last week he posted the recipe and a video of how to make the English Muffins. So yesterday, I made another attempt following his recipe and steps on the video. They turned out great, as close to commercially made muffins as you can get at home. Thank you Dennis for getting this monkey off my back!

One of the tricks to making these muffins is very, very long kneading and rising times, about 6 hours total! They are simply time-consuming to make. Never heard of his procedure before and probably is the reason mine always failed.

Link to the instructional video and recipe:


The photos below are from my first attempt of yesterdays baking the muffins. They turned out great, I’m now happy and will continue using his recipe.

A fork split muffin.


A dozen muffins.


I used a cast iron skillet to bake/cook them. Could only fit 3 at a time in my small 10-inch skillet.


13 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this Mike. I too have failed many times in the past years. Will definitely give these a try. I hope they will will be as good as Thomas', especially when they are BOGO at Publix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you’ll like the results of this recipe. Because of the high cost I too only buy muffins when they are on sale, “buy one – get one free”.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I could never get mine to come out right either. Now I can give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Mike they certainly LOOK right! This is something 2nd Man has yet to try and is always intimated by them. We LOVE LOVE Thomas' they are so freakin good. I will have to tell him and get him to give them a try.

    Thanks to you! And to Dennis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple fine points but I’m pretty sure 2nd already knows:
      I use an electric range, my heat settings go from zero to ten. I set mine at 1½ and after cooking them 8 minutes a side the internal temperature was 195f to 205f (perfect). Also it’s a bit of a pain but weighing each dough piece so they are the same weight will produce 12 muffins the same diameter.

      Delete
  4. Probably to many carbs for now. Someday I'll get to eat bread products again. I love English Muffins with butter and jelly! Damn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too many carbs, just 41! Ha ha.

      I also am on the Atkins routine but getting used to avoiding bread and flour based goodies.

      Nutrition Information:
      A sandwich-sized English muffin provides 209 calories, 8 grams of protein, 41 grams of carbohydrate, 3 grams of dietary fiber, 3 grams sugar, 2 grams of fat and 391 milligrams of sodium.

      Delete
  5. These and bagels don't last long at home. May have to stick to store bought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are time consuming to make but when you are snowed in for a week or so you'll have the time. Ha! They cost me about $1.00 a dozen to make at home.

      Delete
  6. English muffin fan here and those look really good! Thanks for trying it out and passing the recipe on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't do any cooking, really, but I like cast iron cookware. My wife uses it a good bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always spent my half an hour to read this webpage's articles or
    reviews all the time along with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete