Tuesday, July 3, 2018

My Mini-Van Conversion to BOV or Van-Dweller

The mini-van is a 2004 Ford Free-Star: My earlier conversion of it had a 74” x 48” platform that was hinged in the middle lengthwise to access ‘stuff’ stored under it. Although great for sleeping, living in it was difficult so I revised it to a more user friendly design especially during stormy weather. I’m very pleased with this revision.

There are five things I must have in a BOV (Bug Out Vehicle) or Van-Dweller conversion:
  1. A very comfortable sleeping/mattress area at least 74” long x 30” wide.
  2. Security when inside from thieves and wild animals.
  3. A warm, secure, and dry area to live in during bad weather.
  4. A place to cook indoors during bad weather.
  5. An open area large enough to use the poop bucket etc.
  6. Easy access to the stored ‘stuff’ under the bed platform.



The platform is 74” x 30”, the 74” length is cut at 44 inches long so each piece can open independently for easy access to all the ‘stuff’ stored underneath. The hinges are mounted to a 2x6 running the entire length of the platform and it is mounted to the original folding seat anchor. This secures the platform from shifting should there be a wreck or just bad roads. Also, with the drivers seat in the normal driving location there is enough room behind it for the cooler or 12 volt refrigerator to be stowed for easy access.


The completed bed platform. Made from 3/4 inch all pine cabinet plywood, this type of plywood is strong, stable and resists warping.


Shown here the 30 inch rear section opened.


Shown here both sections are opened for full access to all the ‘stuff’ under the platform. Note, standing on end is a 2x6 support for both sections when in the bed mode. This support is silicone bonded to the floor to hold its position. It was bonded because the gas tank is right under it and I didn’t want to accidently drive a screw into the fuel tank or lines. Also note, the end support legs are hinged and lay flat against the plywood so they’re out of the way when open so I won’t bang my face into them when searching for my ‘stuff’.


In the rear is the well for the original third seat (I removed the seat because I didn’t need or want it). This left a well almost 12 inches deep for storage of the bulky items like a sleeping bag, tent and 12 volt solar battery.


 
There is a good bit of open floor space left. The distance from the top of the plywood platform to the ceiling is just enough for me to sit on and not have my head against the ceiling. The passenger front seat is still available for a passenger or for me to sit in and read or relax and use my laptop during bad weather.


The bed platform with a mattress on it ready for use. I normally sleep with my head behind the drivers seat. The mattress now is three lounge chair cushions that are only 24 inches wide. I’m looking for a mattress that’s 30 inches wide.


The rear 3rd seat well filled with some bulky items.


The right front corner of the platform was cut-off slightly so when moving from the drivers or passenger seats to the rear it’s to give a little more room for my legs so not to bang my legs into the platform’s edge. It’s about ready to go! Just organize all the loose ‘stuff’ and find permanent place’s for it.

Can I Cook Inside?

Yes! When it’s raining or when stealth camping and you can’t cook outside, there’s now more than enough room inside to cook. Just fold the mattress out of the way and use the “important bucket” for a seat. Works out just fine.


Or if the weather is marginal and for a quick meal you can use the stove at the rear of the van and with the hatch open gives shelter from light rain. Otherwise, when I’m at a more permanent campsite I use my folding table.

  
What’s This??
For all of you who depend totally on cell phones, GPS, and other electronic navigation devices this is ‘old school’ it’s a compass. It needs no batteries and totally independent from the need of broadcast signals to work perfectly every minute of everyday. It’s mounted (actually bonded with silicone) onto the center of my dash board. Note: If you buy one I have found that the cheap models (Walmart) fail because, the extreme heat of the sun expands the fluid inside when hot and splits the compass case seals. I live in Florida and the sun will kill about anything on the dash. I find that a Marine Compass is designed to be used in the hot sun without any issues. I purchased mine from Amazon $40.00
Link:

Serious Build Note:
  • Today’s mini-vans hide things you need access to like your ‘jack’ behind interior side panels and in the floor of the rear 3rd seat well is where the ‘Screw’ to raise and lower the spare tire is located. Be careful not to built-over them and make them inaccessible. It is not the time to find out you did when you need the spare!

Current cost for the platform conversion so far:
  • $70 for all new wood and 6 hinges.
  • $45 for the cushions/mattress.

Still to do:
  • Buy a one piece 4-6 inch thick mattress.
  • I will add two, rear side window shelves, for the fans and other needed items like a flashlight, phone charging, etc.
  • Curtains.
  • 200 watts of solar power for lighting, computer and a Dometic 12-volt refrigerator.
  • Not shown, is a hitch mount cargo carrier for additional carrying capacity such as extra gas, propane and maybe firewood.

Summary:
  • Will a Mini-Van conversion work as a BOV? Sure it will.
  • Will a Mini-Van conversion work for a full-time Van-Dweller? Sure it will, however, it is a minimal space to live in with all your ‘stuff’ necessary to live comfortably. Long term, I think it will task anyone’s patience very quickly.
  • Best vehicle choice would be a standard, full size Utility-Van, especially with a raised roof like a typical conversion van. Best would be a full stand-up raised roof van, a far better choice for full-time Van-Dwelling.


6 comments:

  1. WOW. That is fantastic. You've put so much thought and planning into your bug out vehicle. And $40 for an indestructible compass is money well spent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna, I think I have the right combination now. Looking forward to trying it out.
    I like your silo house. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking good Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me when back in the 60's and 70;s when kids customized vans to be cool. I too have thought about doing this for my wife and I to use to visit America, if and when we have the house to our self's again.

    ReplyDelete