Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Ball Canning Lids Improved?

Today, I bought a dozen new quart canning jars for a new project I’m starting using #10 Cans of dehydrated foods. I noticed the label on top of the canning jars case stating a new “Sure Tight” lid that’s good for 18 months! Hmm, something new from Ball? To me that’s unusual for them in the dozens of years they have been the “Go To” reliable source of canning. Anyone have more information about these new lids? We’d like to hear about it.


Below is a copy of the PDF describing their new lid.


Here’s what the PDF had to say:

New Ball® Sure Tight™ Lids – 2017

The Ball® brand is introducing new canning lids for 2017. These lids will start appearing in stores where canning supplies are sold in May 2017. These lids will replace all Ball® and Kerr® lids. Current lid supplies are safe to use and will be sold until they are gone.

Information from the Manufacturer:
• Most significant performance improvement for home canning lids in 30 years.
• Twice the tinplate coating compared to current lids. They do not feel or look heavier than current lids.
• Additional rust resistance.
• Longer lasting seal, up to 18 months when following a tested and approved recipe. • No need to heat lids prior to placing on filled jars. Wash lids in warm, soapy water and rinse prior to use.
• No canning processing adjustments needed. Always use tested and approved recipes for safe home canning.
• All canning lids are for one canning use ONLY!
• All lids are best used within five years of purchase.
• Freezer safe. • Lid is printed with a spot to record the date the food was processed.  • BPA free.
• Made in the USA.
• For more information, see https://www.freshpreserving.com/canning-lids-101.html 

The USDA recommends that for best food quality, store home canned foods in a clean, cool, dark, dry location at a temperature between 50 and 70°F. It is also recommended for food quality purposes that you can no more food than you will use within a year; however, there is no specific shelf life for home canned foods.
Prepared by: Karen Blakeslee, M.S., Extension Associate, Department of Animal Sciences and Industry, K-State Research and Extension

Source:
Ball® Canning; Newell Brands; National Center for Home Food Preservation, Dr. Elizabeth Andress, University of Georgia Extension

Disclaimer:
Reference to any specific commercial products, process, service, manufacturer, or company does not constitute its endorsement or recommendation.
Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service K-State Research and Extension is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Issued in furtherance of Cooperative Extension Work, Acts of May 8 and June 30, 1914, as amended. Kansas State University, County Extension Councils, Extension Districts, and United States Department of Agriculture Cooperating, John D. Floros, Director. March 201


Photo’s of the new jars and lids in the case and the label and lid with the new label close-up.


  








18 comments:

  1. the last couple of years people have reported higher than usual failure rates for lids.
    many jars recanned and people have had to reinspect over months because seals would fail after canned goods were stored. never done that before. failures in past have usually been noticed soon after canning, not months later.
    ball must have lost lots of sales and maybe 'improving' the lids enough to pick up sales figures?
    that is the scuttlebut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always found their lids to be some of the best on the market, but will look forward to trying out these newer ones to see what they are like...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I was literally JUST at the store, saw a bunch of new style jars and was going to post on them and then saw the "new lids" announcement. I thought to myself, "aren't they the go to company for generations? what was wrong with the old ones?". Thanks for posting.

    I have heard that there is some new guideline about not needing to heat them first in boiling water before sealing so maybe this is a response to that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link above covers the 'not needing' preheating of the new lids and other information about the new lids.
      Change is always scary!

      Delete
  4. There is really only one company making lids in the US and that is Ball, they once used several names on them and some plane no name ones but there was no competition. Now there are Chinese ones and Tatler reusable ones. We have trouble with ball lids rusting on the outside so they really needed to correct that. I use the cheapest lid I can find as they were no worse than Ball, maybe that has changed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Big companies that dominate the market are only interested in profit and will cheapen the product to where it barely works. Maybe this change is a good sign that they have remove their head from the dark chocolate tunnel and realize peoples lives depend on their product.

      Delete
  5. I'm reading through your posts to get caught up and didn't know about this. But I switched to Tattler Reusable Canning Lids awhile back anyway. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been canning for many years. I was very excited about not having to preheat the lids, but sadly am very disappointed. Used was a big canning day for me. I also use tattler reusable lids, so yesterday I used what I had. All my rattlers sealed great. The new ball lids? Not so great. About half of the failed. The seal "button" depressed on them all but when I went to wash the jars for storage today I found about half of the "sealed" ball jars in fact were not sealed. Contacting the company today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard several times that the new Ball lids fail some at the rate of 50%. This is completely unacceptable.
    I suspect Ball has new yuppie type management that seen a way to save $0.01 per lid and did only cursory testing which did not show the true failure rate. I guess this is good news for Tattler as they will take over the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had many failures with the new lids. Less since I started soaking the lids in hot water before using. I lost half the peaches I had put up this year. All appeared sealed went back a month later and half had failed.

      Delete
  8. Hmmm. 18 months? So have I been wrong to be keeping some of my canned jams for up to 2 to 4 years with no apparent problems? Perhaps the old lids worked for that length and now the new ones only work for 18 months. Resulting "improvement" might be "more profit" for Ball. Maybe with the thicker plating they will provide longer life for high-acid foods. Based on the most recent comments mentioning poorer sealing rates, I think I will continue pre-heating the lids as a precaution.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone needs to be cautious with these new lids. There seems to be a real issue with them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Canned 24 jars of soup yesterday. Nine lid failures. Re-canned the failures into 7 jars - 4 out of 7 failed. I've been canning for decades and have never had failure rates this high. It's driving me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made pickles today. 3 out of 7 lids buckled in the water bath. Still waiting on the popping noise I love, even thou it looks like they are sealed. Guess I need to take the rings off and double check.
    Never had an issue with the old lids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I go to a canning class that is held once a month. They have reported better seals when they heat up the new flats just like they did the older ones that said you were supposed to do it. The company said to use the canned food within 12 months..now 18 it seems just to have a date. As you said, properly canned food kept right lasts for years. Everything now by law has to have an expiration date it seems. But as we all know things last beyond that use by date. By having a date also people throw out commercially canned foods when they see the date has past. Yet the food is still perfectly ok. The food companies make lots of extra money this way don't they? ; ) :((( Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do think we have to watch that the flats we use are stored out of heat. ?? I really don't know how long to keep the excess flats. Has anyone been told officially? You can find boxes of flats at garage sales but how old are they? Will they seal properly? Does the rubber get sticky or old? Just wondering. We all have extra flats at the end of each canning season. I would imagine they should stay good if thy are kept in a dry cool place until needed. But now I wonder if this is not some of the problem... ??? Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been canning for over 40 years. This year I have been using the new Ball lids and the failure rate is very high. It is ranging between 2 out 7 and 4 out of 7. This is very upsetting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The failure rate did go down when I heated the lids, but is still to high for me. I have been canning for 40 years and this year, with the new lids, I have had more failure rates. My fridge is full of canned goods that should be on my shelf!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome!