Saturday, September 16, 2017

C Crane, Skywave Portable Radio

Two weeks ago I purchased this radio and used it for the first time during Hurricane IRMA. It is a very good, very small radio that does just about everything you could ask of a small pocket radio. Naturally, it has AM/FM, Weather, important to me at that time and Shortwave.

The most impressive feature of this radio is the battery life of 60-70 hours on two “AA” batteries and its simple intuitive controls. Don’t need a manual every time you want to use it!

During the Hurricane, I used the radio because the power went out at the motel shortly after we arrived. All the hallway emergency lights came on as they should and apparently the Wi-Fi system ran on a backup battery also. The Wi-Fi connection became weaker and weaker until there was no signal available, so the radio was our connection to the outside events. This also meant no internet, no way to charge the laptops, i-pads or phones.


Link and more information:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMTI6YK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 Small Lightweight Portable AM/FM/Shortwave/Weather/Airband Travel Clock Radio With Alarm
  • Lighted LCD Display, Rotary Volume Knob, Stereo Headphone Jack, Sleep Timer
  • 400 Memory Presets, Direct Entry Keypad, Autoscan Tuning, Signal Meter
  • Runs approx. 60-70 hrs. at moderate volume on (2) AA batteries (not included) or can be powered by an optional AC adapter
  • Includes Earbuds, Carry Case and Fold-out Backstand.
  • 1 Year Warranty.

3 comments:

  1. I used to have one of the old floor model AM/FM - Shortwave radios when I was a kid and loved it. I got everything from Moscow Molly to BBC, Quito, Ecuador, Montreal and of course Radio Havanna. Alas, the only man I knew who could keep it running up and died on me. Of course, it was no good when the juice was off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of C Crane. I get their catalog. They have some great antenna gear for HF and lots of "I'd like to have" items in every issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well written!

    ReplyDelete