Thursday, December 27, 2018

Oil & Propane Lanterns, Out of Favor with Prepping?


I’m not saying don’t invest in the old-tech but, if you are going to make an investment in night-time lighting now’s the time to invest in a portable solar system.

Oil-Lanterns, Propane-Lanterns and Candles used to be the go-to lighting source during a disaster and its’ aftermath. The downside to these old-tech devices is they need petroleum-based fuels which can be hard to come by during a disaster aftermath. On top of that, is the huge home fire risk.

The alternative to oil-fueled lanterns?
LED Lights and rechargeable batteries. Today, solar panels, controllers, and batteries are very affordable. You can have all the quality lighting and communications you’ll ever need for free for the next 20-25 years and beyond and then you’ll never have to stand in line or beg for lamp oil or propane fuel.

(I know some are thinking what about cooking? You can’t do that on small solar systems but that’s what campfires are for or what I use, a Rocket Stove!)

A single 100-watt solar panel will provide the power to recharge batteries that will let you power numerous lighting devices, a TV and a radio to capture local broadcast channels. Your TV and portable AM/FM/Shortwave radio may very well be your only outside communications because cell service, internet, satellite or cable TV may be dead for many reasons. It’s one thing to be in the dark at night without light but what would be worse is being in the dark with no communications to know what’s happening around where you live and what caused the disaster. Also you can recharge your two-way handheld radios for neighborhood communications.

A 100 watt solar system is all you need:
A system this size is totally portable. So even if you live in an apartment or need to hunker-down at another location, all you have to do is stand the solar panel in the sun, in front of a window or sliding glass door to capture the sun. However, don’t leave the panel outside unattended as it will probably result in someone stealing it.


The typical system components:
  • 1, 100-watt panel.
  • 1, charge controller.
  • 1, 400-watt inverter.
  • 1, RV/Marine 12 volt battery.
  • 1, NiCad Battery Charger.

Link to Home Depot Solar Kit $170.00 You’ll also need one RV/Marine battery, one Inverter and one NiCad battery charger. Total cost around $250.00 a small price to invest for endless lighting and communications.




17 comments:

  1. I have a few varieties of oil lamps and lanterns. I also have more modern devices. I think it is good to have a few possibilities. Also, isopropyl alcohol can be burned in your lamps and lanterns. It is easy to carry a bottle of that in your car and to keep some in your home or garage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the one a kind gentlemen set me a couple of years ago. Never fired it up or anything. Power went out last nite. first time in 2 years or so. Dug out my lamp handed my son the oil. All ready to use. Can't find the wick that came with it. Are you kidding me. Im such a goof ball. I will have to move some stuff around to find the wick...Oh power came back after about an hour. Guess whats on my shopping list for next week....Yep Wick. I
    m not getting caught off guard again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, the lantern comes with a wick. It may have been accidentally turned to low and appears to be missing. You can unscrew the burner and check to see if the wick is there or turned so low it has fallen into the oil tank.

      Delete
    2. I bet that is what happened thank you

      Delete
  3. Mike the 100 watt solar is perfect for smart people that can get by without refrigeration and air . If you live in cooler climates oil lamps have a place with the LEDs. They will heat a room more than you think. I would have an inverter slightly bigger than what my microwave needs for the 2 to 6 minuets its worth the splurge,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post, Mike. I have a number of kerosene lanterns including an Aladdin, but since kerosene has a shelf life (and we don't use them regularly) I'm not inclined to think they are the best emergency lighting. Plus they put out heat! I like your idea of solar better. I have a 50-watt panel and a couple of 35 AH deep cell batteries for my room fan, now I think I'd better get a lamp too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you have all the important parts (batteries and panels) now you need a couple room lanterns. They can be cheap like $5.00 each. I would recommend buy the ones that use "AA" batteries and the same for all your flashlights and radios, make sure they use "AA" also. This eliminates having to stock multiple sizes of rechargeable batteries. For the "AA" charger be sure to get one that not only runs off 110v but 12v also. The 12v capability will let you charge the batteries off your two existing batteries or the car battery in a real emergency.
      Happy New Year! :-)

      Delete
    2. Mike, that's a very good idea. I did discover a USB port on the charge controller for that 50-watt panel. I need to figure out how to use it so I can recharge things like AAs, camera, and laptop.

      Delete
    3. Leigh, to make it easy for yourself I would get a 400/800 watt inverter. This way you can plug all your device chargers or table lamp into its 110v receptacles and run/charge them safely without the possibility of overcharging.

      Delete
  5. Mike,
    Good post mybfriend. Have you seen the solar kit at Harbor Freight?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I stated with the Harbor Freight system, not the best quality but worked for 6 years.
      See my story about my solar system evolution.
      https://livingprepared.blogspot.com/search/label/Energy%20Solar

      Delete
  6. Mike,
    I like your idea of a 100 watt solar kit for about $250.00. I’m also aware that you get what you pay for, but do you have any suggestions regarding deep-cycle batteries that won’t break the bank? Should I just go to a big-box store for my purchase, or search the internet?
    Regards,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, I bought my RV/Marine batteries from Walmart. They were perfect for the first 6 years of continuous use until a lightening strike fried my controller which resulted in it overcharging the batteries and boiled the water out of them. I'm sure they'd still be working fine even 2 years later.
      Another thing about mail order is the shipping cost, it will be high.

      Delete
  7. Mike,
    Thanks for the info. on your 100 watt solar system. I’m aware that you get what you pay for, but any suggestions on RV/marine batteries? Should I just go to a big-box store, or should I check the internet or other sources for better quality?
    Thanks,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I am using RV/Marine Group-27 (largest ones) batteries. I have zero problems with them. Perfect for starter systems.
      As for where to buy? Walmart you don't have to pay high shipping costs.

      Vist my solar story at this link:
      https://livingprepared.blogspot.com/search/label/Energy%20Solar

      Delete
  8. remember reading about times with no sun due to volcanoes need several types of lighting just in case

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I agree we do need a back-up lighting sources for solar such as oil lanterns in case of volcano eruptions, weeks long snow storms and other long term sun blocking events. Even so solar overall is the best way to go for primary electricity.

      Delete