Thursday, December 12, 2019

Scripto Lighters are Junk


Lighters are an important piece of survival gear. You need a flame to start camp stoves, lanterns, candles, or fires. If you are a non-smoker, chances are you’ll never find a lighter or matches around the house when you need them most. This is where multiple butane lighters are worth their weight in gold especially when the unprepared neighbor comes over looking for a lighter or matches.

I keep lighters everywhere such as vehicles, with camping gear, in the kitchen etc. I normally buy and stock ‘BIC Lighters’ as I’ve found them to be the longest lasting and most reliable year after year. (I do have a Fire-Steel as the ultimate back-up.) The only down-side to the BIC is it has no adjustable flame height which is beneficial when lighting a stove or lantern.

The other week I saw the above Scripto lighters in a 7-pack with an adjustable flame on sale, so I bought them. It didn’t take long to find out they were junk. Using the maximum flame height the flame only lasted for a dozen or so lights before it dwindled to a very low flame then the next dozen or so lights ran out of fuel.

Sad the amount of junk that's out there for sale in our country. Save your money and buy the ‘BIC’ brand.

2 comments:

  1. I stock up on stick matches, but I never think about lighters. Probably a good idea if things are damp and matches don't want to light. Thanks for the recommendation, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Yes, that's true about the quality of stuff for sale. More and more of it isn't worth buying.

    ReplyDelete